Monday 14 May 2012

Two more from Sci Fi London


Shuffle

Caught this after watching the Last Push, switching from hard sci fi to soft sci fi. This is a beautifully shot movie staring T.J. Thyne (plays the fantastic Dr Hodgins in Bones) Each morning he wakes up a different age. Yesterday he was 26, the day before he was 8. One day he was 92. He wants off this mental merry-go-round, but he needs to help someone. Who?

It is a fantastic movie, as if Memento and Its a Wonderful Live had a baby, and the Twilight Zone was its godfather. I just can't find fault with it (except it made me cry buckets in the cinema).  Lovell and Grace are such lovely characters and you can really feel the anguish, pain and love in Thyne's acting. The clever writing really keeps you on your toes, the clues to the end are all there at the start. Kurt Kuenne is a multi-talented genius, as he did the music, production, editing and wrote the whole thing. This is certainly on my "must buy" list following the festival. Here's a trailer for it.



Kurt Kuenne also directed the lovely short film Validation. If you haven't seen it, here it is!



Best sixteen minutes on YouTube.

Anyway, this is my pick of the year, and they were all good movies. It's rare to have a good character based sci fi movie. Go find it now, as its never going to see a big release (stupid stupid Hollywood) but is well worth the time.


The Captains.

I'm sad I missed the first 15 minutes due to London trains being shonky. After my mystery tour of the underground I gotto the cinema anyways, and since it's a documentary movie, it won't do any harm. The Shat wrote and directed this and interviews all the Star Trek captains. It's very interesting and insightful. The sacrifice that they made.to make on of my favourite shows. Several broken marriages and the typecasting. Patrick Stewart's sections are quite touching. I warn you though, if you are a DS9 fan, you are never going to see Sisko the same way again. Avert Brooks is a total space cadet, I want to know what drugs he is taking.

The promo stuff features Shat in a Box, funny stuff.


There's a little more I need to cover about Sci Fi London, but not tonight, I'm too sleepy.

/Commlal

No comments:

Post a Comment